Then there are us city slickers who are in the summer mood and don't have the grilling tools but do have the convenience of walking up to the local, crème de la crème shiny hot dog cart on the corner.
What a great way to enjoy a hot dog while sitting in the park on the lawn or a bench and bite into a crunchy dog with the juice from the spicy onions dripping down your arm.
This is one of the most memorable ways to enjoy a hot dog during the warm weather months when you are in the big city.
But how about when you get home and want to create the same taste experience? It's not always easy -- except in this one particular instance the onions can be bought in a jar in your local supermarket (but I bet they don't taste like the ones from the corner hot dog cart).
OR you can make the spicy onions at home with a few basic ingredients you probably have in the fridge and pantry. Yes, I'm going to share this very tasty and easy to prepare recipe for "Hot Dog Onions".
I've kept this recipe to myself for many years because it was so simple and I thought no one would be interested. Though I have a suspicion that there are many of you already making a recipe that is very similiar.
HOT DOG ONIONS
- 2-3 large onions sliced (big yellow or sweet)
- 1-2 TBLS. butter (or butter alternative)
- 2-3 TBLS. ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt and pepper
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Add the butter to a medium sauce pan to melt and then add the sliced onions and stir with a wooden spoon until the onions have been coated with the melted butter. Add the salt, pepper and the hot pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook the onions until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ketchup to the onions and stir and then add the water a little at a time. You may not need all the water. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the onions are softened.
You can definitely make these in advance for convenience and I always make extra to freeze for the next time.
Add these onions to burgers, steak or sausage sandwiches on the deck with cold glass of iced tea.
Listed on the following hops:
It's A Blog Party
Full Plate Thursday