I don't usually order appetizers but one of the appetizer specials was beet carpaccio -- had to try it.
It was a light dish and was very simply prepared -- paper-thin sliced fresh beets topped with crumbled gorgonzola and a drizzle of olive oil -- simple, light and very delicious.
Since the family likes beets I decided to make a salad using the appetizer as my inspiration. Something a little different to dress up the bbq foods we usually have on a regular weekend.
I do not have a slicer or mandolin to thinly slice the beets, so I had to manually slice the beets with a knife. I couldn't get them very thin since the beets I had were on the small side and they were a little difficult to grip.
I chose to use goat cheese since the family enjoys it more than gorgonzola, and it really didn't matter since the goat cheese is also a great compliment to the beets.
The salad was very easy to prepare and to my surprise everyone liked it. This is a great salad to make in advance and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Cold Beet Salad
- 6 Large beets
- Favorite salad greens (field greens, arugula, romaine)
- 1-2 slices of goat cheese
- 1-2 TBLS. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Roast the beets in a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour or until done. Peel the beets when cool enough to handle and slice as thin as possible. Place in a bowl and season with a little salt and pepper if desired.
- Place the salad greens on a plate and lay out the sliced beets on top.
- Crumble the goat cheese on the beets and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
This post is shared with:
Hearth and Soul
It's A Keeper Thursday
Turning the Table Thursday