Summer entertaining season starts and I'm looking for easy to prepare recipes.
I'm starting the season with an easy citrus salad I made this winter. This is an all weather, any season dish.
It's even a great dish to take to a pot luck or a picnic. Fresh citrus fruits and strawberries make for a light and refreshing dish.
I've served this as a side dish with grilled fish and also as a dessert.
Any recipe that is flexible is a winner in my recipe box. With this fruit salad you can add more of your favorite fruit and less of a not so favorite.
Refreshing Citrus Salad
- 2-4 grapefruits
- 4-6 oranges
- 4-6 tangerines or clementines (your choice)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1-2 TBLS. crystallized ginger, minced (optional)
- fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped salted roasted almonds (use the canned variety from your market).
- 1. First grate the zest of a grapefruit, orange and tangerine or clementine, about 2-3 TBLS. and add to a large
bowl with the 1/4 cup of sugar.
- 2. Peel the skin from each fruit, removing all the white pith from the flesh of the fruit.
- 3. Carefully slice each section of the citrus fruits between each membrane and place them into the large bowl with the zest and sugar. After removing the sections from each fruit squeeze the juice from the membranes over the fruit in the bowl.
- 4. Cut the clementines into pieces and add to the bowl. Add the minced ginger if you choose to use it, then gently stir all the fruit with the juices and sugar until blended.
- 5. Chill for about 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Add the almonds over the top of the fruit just before serving.
I chose to make individual servings but you can serve the salad family style and everyone can help themselves.