Today, there is a lot of information about the health benefits of nuts. So why not fill up on something that is good for you instead of eating all those crunchy chips or sweet, sugary candy. It can be hard to do, but I'm trying.
I do really love those sweet/salty nuts that we used to get on the airplane, which of late are no longer served, or at least not on the flights I've been taking. So when I saw a recipe for "Honey Crystal Almonds" in a popular women's magazine, I had to try it.
- 2 Cups whole almonds
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 2 TBLS. butter
- 1 Cup of "Sugar in the Raw"
- Spread almonds in a shallow pan and place in a cold oven. Turn oven to 350 degrees and roast 12 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until well roasted.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the honey and butter to boiling. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer mixture for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the roasted almonds to the mixture. Simmer and stir for another two minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the coated almonds in a single layer to cool slightly.
- To coat the almonds, toss with sugar in a plastic food storage bag until coated.
This was the end of the recipe, but I found the almonds to be a little too sticky. I let them dry out for a while on the parchment paper, turning them as they dried on each side.
You can find this recipe, or one that is similar in many of the women's magazines that are in your supermarket.