With the heat of summer hovering around for the next 4 to 6 weeks, there's no time like now to find cool drinks to enjoy.
I like to put out several different cold drinks with our BBQ. You never know who will want to change from a beer or wine to a cold iced tea.
The ice bucket was filled with a few seasonal beers and white merlot. And I had a pitcher of my special iced tea that I like to make for both the kids and adults. It's quite refreshing.
- Summer Iced Tea Special
- 4 tea bags
- 4 Cups of Hot Water
- 2 medium oranges juiced (add more or less as preferred)
- 2 lemons juiced (add more or less as preferred)
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cups superfine granulated sugar (to taste)
- Orange slices and/or Lemon slices
- Mint leaves (optional)
1. Steep the 4 tea bags in the hot water for about 1 hour.
2. Cut the fruit and squeeze the juice into a pitcher.
4. Add the sugar to the juice and stir until blended.
5. Mix the steeped tea and the juices together into a pitcher and chill until ready to serve. Add the sliced fruit into the pitcher with mint leaves as a garnish.
Now back to the White Merlot which I decided to serve to the "ladies who lunched" with us this weekend. They like sweeter style wines to sip with their meal. I thought the White Merlot would be the perfect match.
Forest Glen White Merlot (under $10) has a reddish-pink color. The aromas of watermelon says summer and the raspberries gave it the delicious berry flavors and had a slight sweetness on the palate. This must be served chilled so keep it in the melting ice bucket.
Twin Valley White Merlot (under $10) has light floral aromas, and the characteristic Merlot grape flavors of plum and blueberry, and had a hint of cranberry, but is lighter in style than red merlot.
You can't have ladies who lunch without serving sparkling wine. I served one of my favorites, Cristalino Brut Cava which has slight yeast and citrusy, lemon-lime aromas with flavors of citrus and apple. Very food friendly or good as an aperitif.
If you have a favorite refreshing beverage that you like to serve when the weather is hot and steamy please share it with us.